Silversmith+Jeweler

A Blog for the Silversmiths + Jewelers.

Sacred Spirit Gems

Arizona Artist Series: Mark Plehn Q&A


Mark of Sacred Spirit Gems has a stirring array of crystals and crystal healing jewelry with stone combinations that are carefully arranged to create optimal healing results for the wearer. He was kind enough to answer some questions in our Arizona Artist Series about his design process and what inspires him.


custom ruby ring


How did you get into metalsmithing?

I began the initial metalsmithing aspect of my jewelry career learning how to set gemstone cabochons with sterling silver wire.  Almost twenty years ago I was fortunate enough to have met an amazing silver wire stone setting artist.  She had a small table at a very small northern Arizona town craft fair and after some conversation and my bold request for her to teach me, we ended up at my dining room table a few days later as she passed on her knowledge!  I was and am so grateful for her open-hearted sharing of her talents for my benefit and I appreciate the gift I received that day every time I set up a new wire wrapping design.  My ongoing desire to expand my jewelry creating skills then led me to Harold Studio and Johanna.  I feel like now the sky’s the limit after finding another amazing artist willing to share their metalsmithing gifts and knowledge!

Quartz necklaces made custom for healing

What inspires you?

For me the inspiration for almost all of my work is the gemstones and their amazing ability to receive, store, amplify and transmit light, color and mineralogical vibrations.  I’m inspired by nature and natural organic forms and I’m also very inspired by antique designs: Victorian era, the jewelry of the 20s, 30s, 40s and sometimes even ancient antiquity designs from Egypt, etc. 

What is your design process?

custom labradorite necklace
As a certified Crystologist my initial design process always begins with the energy of the gemstones and the intention for the piece I’ll be creating.  Is the piece I’m working on a single stone, stand alone pendant for a chain or is it a pendant that will be attached to gemstone healing combination design?  In what form will this healing design be most effective for my client?......in a necklace or bracelet form?  Maybe it needs to be an anklet because the client uses their hands and a bracelet would be in their way.   Most of my designs are custom healing designs with gemstones and crystals specific to addressing physical health challenges or intentional consciousness enhancement designs.  All of my designs are centered around the crystals or gemstones and I do my best to let the stones tell me the best way to create them into intentional consciousness enhancement and wearable healing art.

What is your favorite tool?

I’d have to say my favorite tool is my flexshaft.  I love all the different things I can do with it in grinding, texturing, finishing and polishing.  Not to mention the ability to change my tips to stone carving tips for working on gemstone carvings, etc.  I feel like I’ve only begun in exploring all the things I will be able to do with this wonderful tool.




custom made rings in Arizona

What is on your bench right now?

On my bench right now are a number of in process pieces.  I always have several different pieces I’m working on and usually switch between them……if I get stuck or frustrated with one thing I’m working on, I switch to something else to keep me fluid and enjoying the process.  There is currently a custom double ammonite piece I’m setting in an unusual way as well as a number of quartz crystals pendants, a ruby ring and a ring repair project as well.
what is on my jeweler's bench

 

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Please follow us for more jewelry news, tips and tricks!