Silversmith+Jeweler

A Blog for the Silversmiths + Jewelers.

MissHotcakes


Arizona Artist Series: Rebecca/ MissHotcakes Q&A


Rebecca of MissHotcakes has a quirky unique style that mixes her love of the vintage and weird in a beautiful way through her jewelry designs. Learn more about her process and style in our latest Arizona Artist segment below!



labradorite ring




How did you get into metalsmithing?


Jewelry making has been something I’ve been doing since high school, maybe earlier, so it’s always been an interest of mine. It started with beads, and then in the late 90s, there were hemp necklaces/bracelets. More recently, I was on the lookout for vintage buttons, and I also was using felt for a bit.
I enjoyed that, but I found that I wanted to elevate my skill set, which led me to taking a course at Harold in 2015. I fell in love with the process and the ability to really create something out of nothing. 
Creating is just such an important thing to me, and metalsmithing is really my favorite way to scratch my creative itch.
saguaro necklace and pin

What inspires you?

So much! I find so much inspiration from the desert around me here in Phoenix. Nature in general is a huge inspiration. 
I’ve also always been drawn to some of the darker things in life – skulls and skeletons, witchcraft and other pagan symbols, the night sky! Stars and the moon have always been something I feel drawn to.
Recently, I featured Irina Ionesco’s photography on my Instagram page because her photos are just so amazing and are such an inspiration to me. They’re dark but beautiful and unique, which is exactly the aesthetic  I am after. If you aren’t familiar, I really suggest checking her out.

What is your design process?

Usually, I have one thing, whether it be a stone, a technique, or an idea that will drive the rest of the piece. Most things I plan and sketch out and think over, but there are some pieces that just come together organically that I hadn’t planned on at all. 
I’m also usually not one to start and finish a project all at one time. Instead, I have about 3 things going all at once that I work on in spurts.

What is your favorite tool?

My favorite tool is my tweezers. Why, I don’t know, but I have to have them!

What is on your bench right now?

I have a onyx and moonstone ring that I’m nearly finished with.  
I also have a picture jasper that I’m about to start working with. I’m going to use bronze, which I’ve never used before, so I’m excited for that. 
Of course, I have other things in the works, but I’ll leave it there!


ring in making


Loving this Psychic hand necklace currently available on her site. Go, take a look and shop now! At misshotcakes.com
brass and silver hand necklace

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Please follow us for more jewelry news, tips and tricks!