Silversmith+Jeweler

A Blog for the Silversmiths + Jewelers.

Arizona Artist Series: Susan of Wallace Chambers Design Q&A

sterling silver spiral ring


How did you get into metalsmithing?

I had an uncle who made a living as a watchmaker. He also had an interest in stones and made some jewelry. When I was in elementary school he would take me along to hunt for rubies, and on one occasion he bought me a handcrafted Sterling dogwood flower ring. I thought this was so amazing! Later on I became aware of art shows, and grasped the fact that I could actually make a living designing and making jewelry.


What inspires you?

I would have to say beauty. I relate to the fluid nature of metal, and am totally in love with the drama of fire. I find clarity in looking for design, and it is usually a subtle, very unplanned idea that starts my process.

csterling silver cuff



What is your design process?

Very simply, I make it up as I go along!


What is your favorite tool?

I like working with my foredom ..... the finishing process I find
rewarding as the piece is becoming a whole.

Sterling silver twisted pendant on black cord


What is on your bench right now?

 I have been working on silver earrings with raw sea
glass. I decided to make unbacked bezel setting, and still have finishing to accomplish
on them.

sea glass earrings, ring mandrel, projects in process

Do you have any upcoming shows? 

I just finished my season in the Seattle area, where I do a Farmers Market on Saturdays.
My current goal is to focus on my website, and host my own online shows.


Where else can we find your work? 
In Arizona I have work for sale at Taliesin West, in The Frank Lloyd Wright Store. In
Washington I am working on a collection for SAM, Seattle Art Museum for the
spring/summer 2019 season.

https://www.wallacechambersdesign.com/

https://www.etsy.com/shop/WallaceChambers?ref=search_shop_redirect


1 comment

Thank you for your comment! Please follow us for more jewelry news, tips and tricks!