Silversmith+Jeweler

A Blog for the Silversmiths + Jewelers.

Arizona Artist Series: Jen Lin of Hello Pecan Designs Q&A


Green Turquoise Shadow Box Ring


How did you get into metalsmithing?

I have always enjoyed learning and doing anything art and crafts related. I also admired all the pretty silver and turquoise jewelry out there, but had a hard time finding rings or cuffs that fit. I remember thinking maybe someday it would be cool to be able to make it myself. Two years ago, I was looking for a creative outlet to balance out my life and randomly searched the internets for a local metal-smithing class. I found Harold Studio, took the awesome Jewelry 1 class, and have been hooked ever since.  

What inspires you?
Lots of things - a lot of the times just looking at the stone itself sparks some idea for what it could become or what style would fit it best. I had lots of fun looking to nature and the National Parks for inspiration for several pieces. Sometimes running low on supplies (rarely happens right...) generates ideas. It ends up being a semi-fun challenge to see what I can try to create using what I have left until I can restock! 

Turquoise Shadow Box Ring

What is your design process?
I like when I can sit there with the stones I want to work with, along with whatever metal I happen to have on hand in front of me. I arrange things and mix and match all the pieces until I hit upon something that I like and want to wear myself. 

What is your favorite tool?
It's a toss up right now between the fresh stack of yellow bristle polishing discs and the buttery smooth metal file. 

What is on your bench right now? 
Currently on a ring kick and have a couple of different ones going on right now - some simple turquoise ones (my favorite), a few multi-stone rings, a Jasper one. Also finishing up an little cuff. 
Double Band Turquoise Ring

Do you have any upcoming shows? 

Annual Fall Festival of the Arts on October 28, Noon-4pm at the AZ Heritage Center at Papago Park, Tempe. 


Where else can we find your work? 

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Please follow us for more jewelry news, tips and tricks!