Silversmith+Jeweler

A Blog for the Silversmiths + Jewelers.

Arizona Artist Series: Stefanie Dicker of Bezel and Brass Q & A

Sterling Silver Botswana Necklace

How did you get into metalsmithing?

Years ago, my grandma gave me her wedding ring and told me that I could reset the stones, if I wanted to do so. I felt that the best way to honor her, would be to learn how to reset the stones myself. Ironically, I no longer want to reset the stones. I cherish the memories that I have of her wearing that ring. I want to preserve the ring and the memories.

Sterling Silver and Brass Geometrical Earrings

What inspires you?

I'm very inspired by other cultures. Specifically, Native American and Hispanic cultures. I love the story, the spirit, the richness and the detail.



Bezel and Brass Silver Hoops with Brass Dangles

What is your design process?

 I tend to be a more methodical person, so, I'm not one to "wing it".  I almost always have a plan before I start working on a piece. Usually, I end up deviating or modifying somewhere along the way. That's the part of the process that I have a tricky relationship with. I don't like uncertainty, although, uncertainty can be our best teacher.

Bezel and Brass Silver Jasper Ring

What is your favorite tool and why?

 My favorite tool changes, depending on the pieces that I'm working on. Consistently, though, I love my rotary tool. The finishing process is cathartic for me.


Bezel and Brass Work Bench with various tools


What is on your bench right now?

I'm finishing up some chrysoprase earrings and starting a collection for a salon in Minnesota.

Bezel and Brass Silver Varasite Ring




Where can we find your work?
-Local Nomad on Camelback and Central, localnomadshop.com
-late spring/early summer at Mérite House of Beauty in Minnetonka, MN
-Etsy, bezelandbrass.etsy.com


1 comment

Thank you for your comment! Please follow us for more jewelry news, tips and tricks!