Silversmith+Jeweler

A Blog for the Silversmiths + Jewelers.

Arizona Artist Series: Crystal Cleveland - Skye Silver Q & A

Sterling Silver Rings with Turquoise and Onyx Cabochons


How did you get into metalsmithing?


I’ve been into collecting jewelry since high school, when I inherited a bit of my grandmas native turquoise jewelry collection. Then after collecting and searching for stuff that I like or that fits for years, I just decided I wanted to try to make things that I couldn’t find and things that fit me. I have a couple good friends who are also into metalsmithing, lapidary and collecting that also really helped me get into silversmithing. I took the 8 week jewelry 1 class at the Harold Studio and really took off from there!


Sterling silver rings with Turquoise and Silver Accents



What inspires you?

Everything! I live for 40s/50s Fred Harvey era silver. Turquoise! The desert! Stones! Stones, probably more than anything, they really make every piece so special.


Sterling silver Rings with Turquoise and Moonstone Cabochons


What is your design process?

I don’t know if I really have a process really. I doodle designs a lot, but my drawing is terrible. I usually just lay out some stones and it really just comes to me from there. Ill start moving elements around on my bench, playing around until a design is laid out. I do a lot of the designing at my home and then head to the Harold Studio to finish up the pieces.


Cabochon Bolo Ties


What is your favorite tool and why?

 My favorite tool is the polisher. Polishing, patina and cleaning up pieces and getting to the final step makes me really happy.

Various Jewelry Components and Tools


What is on your bench right now?

I probably have 10 or so ideas on my bench right now. A lot of rings, a couple bolo ties. I’m thinking about attempting my first bracelet!

Sterling Silver Hoops with Turquoise and White Buffalo Cabochons


Where can we find your work?

Instagram- @SkyeSilversmithing
Etsy- https://www.etsy.com/shop/SkyeSilversmithing


1 comment

  1. You have shared a nice article here about the jewelry. Your article is very interesting and I really enjoyed reading it. If anyone looking for the Jewelry Photographer, affordableproductphoto is a good choice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Please follow us for more jewelry news, tips and tricks!