Silversmith+Jeweler

A Blog for the Silversmiths + Jewelers.

Arizona Artist Series: Kristi Ellstrom - Northwoods Silver Q & A

Business cards


How did you get into metalsmithing?

I have always loved silver and turquoise and wanted to do something that included those in my creative outlet. My early childhood, I grew up in Arizona so that had a lot of influence on my interest in the Southwestern styles. My Dad had a very close friend who had the largest Turquoise belt buckle I had ever seen. I thought it was so beautiful and special, I will never forget it.

I also credit my start into silversmithing to my Mom! She passed down her turquoise ring from the 1970’s to me when I was sixteen. I still wear the ring almost daily. We spent our summers in the Northwoods of Wisconsin on a lake (my favorite place) and every year on one of our “town” visits, we would visit a silver shop and would get to pick something out. That is why I named my business Northwoods Silver.

My path to metalsmithing was a bit untraditional, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. Just 8 months ago, I took my first class at Harold Studio and have taken several more since then. I opened Northwoods Silver this spring and have been working on honing my style since then.


Turquoise Necklace on Silver Chain



What inspires you?

Nature! I love spending time outside, taking in the fresh smells and sights. I also love to travel and am especially interested in other cultures. There is so much diversity in the world, you can take bits and pieces of it and apply it to your work. I am still discovering my own personal style when it comes to silversmithing, so I suppose the inspiration will keep coming from many different avenues!



Turquoise Earrings with twisted wire


What is your design process?

It usually begins with the stone. I love gems, so I really take in the color, shape, size, any special inclusions, etc. Then I trace around the stone on a piece of paper and from there I draw out a design. Many times, I end up tweaking the design once I get going. You’ll notice what works or doesn’t work during the actual process of making the piece. I try to stay as fluid as possible, because I’ve come to learn that if you try to force it – it won’t turn out well and I’ll be frustrated.

I also love making custom pieces, because I think about the person while I’m making the item. Wonder if it will be an everyday piece for them or something for special occasions? If it is a gift, I’ll smile and think about how surprised and hopefully happy the person receiving it is. It brings me a lot of joy to creative something that someone in the world will cherish as their own. I also hope that they will be passed down to friends or family, just as my turquoise ring was to me. I love when objects have a history


Turquoise Pendants on leather suede


What is your favorite tool and why?

 This is such a hard question! There are so many, but if I had to narrow it down, I would say the Flex Shaft machine, the rawhide mallet, and the bench block. I use those things every day I am working, couldn’t live without them. The Flex Shaft is a workhorse and I use it to clean up the metal during the process and also to polish the pieces. The mallet and bench block are two items every metalsmith needs and will use constantly. These would be my first recommendations to newbies!


silver stack rings


What is on your bench right now?

Right now I am working on 15 cuff bracelets. I don’t normally have such a large volume of items on my bench at the same time, but something came over me and I wanted to create numerous cuffs for the upcoming market I’m heading to!


Simple circle earrings


Where can we find your work?

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/northwoodssilver/
Etsy- https://www.etsy.com/shop/NorthwoodsSilver

jewelry work bench and tools

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Please follow us for more jewelry news, tips and tricks!